In a leaguewide effort to improve the fan experience at the youth level, the GBYLA has implemented a mandatory program called the 'Sideline Manager.' Below is the Job Description for the Sideline Manager and the penalites enforced for non-compliance.
HONOR THE GAME
SIDELINE MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTON
Sideline Manager: Your role is to maintain a positive and sportsmanlike environment around your team’s fan side of the playing field and in the bleachers. The officials will handle on-field sportsmanship issues. You are the ‘first line of defense’ in managing poor fan behavior.
- Start of Game;
- Your coach should introduce you to your team and explain as to why you are there and your role during the game.
- Identify yourself as the Sideline Manager for your team at the Coin Toss to the Game Officials.
- Resume your presence on the fan sideline or in the bleachers.
- Behavior that does not ‘Honor the Game’ includes;
- Entering the field of play, bench or table area.
- Throwing objects onto the field.
- Continued berating of officials or others involved with the game.
- Verbal threats of bodily harm, injury or death.
- The use of obscene or highly abusive language.
- In a calm manner remind offending parties that in our league we ‘Honor the Game’ and show respect to officials, coaches and/or players by not shouting from the sideline.
- Hand the person the sportsmanship card and walk away.
- Continued bad behavior by offending fan;
- The second line of defense is to notify officials of the continued poor behavior by the offending fan. You can do this by speaking with the officials at the end of the quarter or at half-time. In extreme circumstances, you can request the table blow the horn at a dead-ball/on a whistle to signal the officials.
- The official will notify your Head Coach of the situation and request assistance.
- The third line of defense rests with the officials in managing the fan with either a warning or ejection from the premises.
Please remember to respect personal space as you do not want to escalate the situation or create another incident. Do not place yourself at risk! If you need help, get back up from the officials.
Thank you for your commitment to ensuring a positive fan experience for our players and fans.
PENALTIES FOR NON-COMPLIANCE
Delay of Game – Failure on behalf of one team to produce a Sideline Manager at coin toss resulting in Delay of Game (no faceoff with possession awarded to offended team).
One Minute Releasable Unsportsmanlike – Failure to produce a Sideline Manager at the start of the 2nd quarter.
One Minute Non-Releasable Unsportsmanlike – Failure to produce a Sideline Manager at the start of the 3rd quarter.
One Minute Non-Releasable Unsportsmanlike – Failure to produce a Sideline Manager at the start of the 4th quarter.
Delay of Game – Failure on behalf of one team to produce a Sideline Manager at coin toss resulting in Delay of Game (no draw with possession awarded to offended team).
Two Minute Non-Releasable Unsportsmanlike – Failure to produce a Sideline Manager at the start of the 2nd half.