• NO PLACE outside is safe when lightning is in the area.
• If you hear thunder & see lightning, immediately move to safe shelter.
• Safe shelter is a substantial building or inside an enclosed, metal-topped vehicle.
• Always follow directions given by onsite Park & Rec personnel or onsite officials & trainers.
• If lightning is observed or thunder is heard before the start of a game, 30 minutes must pass without another lightning strike or hearing of thunder before the game can be started.Officials are required to wait up to, but not to exceed, one hour after the first observed lightning strike or heard thunder.
• If lightning is observed or thunder heard AFTER the start of a game, 30 minutes must pass without another lightning strike or hearing of thunder before the game can be re-started.Officials are required to wait up to, but not to exceed, one hour after the first observed lightning strike.
Coaches, Players & Parents must follow protocol as dictated by the Officials on site and remain in safe shelter, at the field, unless informed by the Officials that the game has been called.
Safe Shelter Safety Tips:
• Stay off corded phones, computers & other electrical equipment that put you in direct contact with electricity.
• Avoid plumbing, including sinks, baths & faucets.
• Stay away from windows, doors & porches.
• Do not lie on concrete floors and do not lean against concrete walls.
Last Resort Outdoor Risk Reduction Tips:
NO PLACE outside is safe when lightning is in the area, but if you are caught outside with no safe shelter anywhere nearby, the following actions may reduce your risk;
• Immediately get off elevated areas such as hills, mountain ridges or peaks.
• NEVER lie flat on the ground.
• NEVER use a tree for shelter.
• NEVER use a cliff or rocky overhang for shelter.
• Immediately get out and away from ponds, lakes & other bodies of water.
• Stay away from objects that conduct electricity (barbed wire fences, power lines, windmills, etc).
• UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should ANY of the above actions be taken if a building or an all metal vehicle is nearby.
If someone is struck:
• Victims do not carry an electrical charge and may need immediate medical attention.
• Monitor the victim and begin CPR or AED (if available & necessary).
• Call 911 for help. The safety of our players, coaches, officials & spectators are our #1 priority.